Are you confused by the “noise” of all the different strategies available to market your business? You may hear one “expert” saying you HAVE to do social media or else you can’t have a thriving business. Someone else is saying that you HAVE to do pay-per-click advertising to drive traffic to your website. Still another claims that blogging is the “golden ticket” to your success!
Then there’s the fact that, as entrepreneurs, we often find it difficult to get through everything we’d like to accomplish in one day. You may be so busy serving clients and doing your work, that your well-intentioned marketing plans fall by the way side. If you don’t have a head for marketing or aren’t tech savvy, it can seem downright impossible to make any headway in growing your business. And what happens then? Because you can’t decipher what to do next, are pressed for time and have limited marketing knowledge you become overwhelmed and wind up doing nothing.
Doing nothing to market your business is not an option. If you don’t consistently market your services, you won’t continue to attract new prospects and eventually your client base will dry up, leaving you with no revenue and no business.
So what’s the solution?
First, don’t beat yourself up about what you have or haven’t done up until now. Instead make the decision to break through your current state of overwhelm and start making progress in marketing your business… NOW! (Understand, you can CHOOSE, in this very moment, to NOT be overwhelmed. Take control of your feelings and decide to do things differently from now on.)
Here’s how you can make progress in marketing your business and get results, starting today:
- STOP! Step back, take a deep breath and figure out exactly what you really want to accomplish with your marketing. Visualize your business exactly the way you want it to be. What does the next level of your success really look like? Get clear on your vision so that you can create a marketing plan to take you there.
- Establish your goals. Once you are crystal clear on what you want your business to look like and what you want your marketing efforts to accomplish, you’ll want to set specific and measurable goals. For example, if your goal is to enroll more clients into your practice, don’t just say “I want more clients.” Instead set your goal as “I will enroll 3 new high paying clients within the next 90 days”. By establishing a specific goal, you’ll be able to measure your progress based on your results. Plus you’ll have a concrete number to strive for.
- Plan a strategy. Determine the marketing strategies that will create the best results. For example, if you want to attract 3 more clients, then you will want to attend events that cater to your ideal client so you can network with them and develop new relationships. This will give you the opportunity to learn their challenges, build a rapport and set the foundation for providing solutions to their problems. If your goal is to increase local business, then you can look into advertising opportunities, public speaking or partnering with complementary service professionals in your community to attract more business. The marketing strategies you choose need to match what you’re trying to accomplish – not what other people think you should be doing, or whatever the latest and greatest technique is.
- Create a simple plan. Once you have your goals established, formulate a simple plan to reach your goals. Start with a plan for the next three months. Keep in mind your business vision, your specific goals and the proven strategies that will get you results. Map out the steps needed for each strategy and goal and congratulate yourself on creating a roadmap to your success!
- Schedule time to WORK YOUR MARKETING PLAN. Now that you have a marketing plan in place, you need to schedule time to work your plan. Clarity + Focused Action = Results! Marketing your business is just as important as working with a VIP client. Make your marketing projects priority and don’t leave your results to chance. Block out time on your calendar and stick to that schedule. Make sure you are working your marketing plan consistently to yield the consistent results you’re looking for.
Following these 5 simple steps helps you breakthrough overwhelm and start making progress in growing your business. By becoming laser focused on your goals and what you want your business to look like, you can block out needless distractions and just do the things that will get you results.
Your Action Plan for This Week:
- Before Monday, block out just ONE hour to work through the 5 steps mentioned. You’ll then have a clear plan of attack for what you’ll accomplish over the next 3 months and end 2010 on a high-note!
- Share your goals with a supportive family member, friend or colleague. You can also share them with me by posting your thoughts on the blog.
- Makeover your mindset! We’ve all felt overwhelmed at one time or another. But you don’t have to “live” in that space. Today is a new day and tomorrow’s results can be different. Focus your attention on what you CAN and WILL do and leave the past behind!
What goals have you set for yourself to help overcome the overwhelm? Do tell by posting your comments below!