Whether you’re in start-up mode or an established business owner experiencing a cash crunch, you may find yourself without as much capital as you’d like to spend on marketing your business. That may be your reality, but that is no excuse for not marketing your services. The only way you’re going to grow your business and create more cash flow is to market your solutions consistently. Fortunately, there are several FREE strategies that you can use to put your business in front of the people who need what you have to offer.
Use all or one of these strategies to market your business on a budget:
- Educate your existing network – Your friends, family members, ex-colleagues, clients and past clients can be your greatest marketing allies. Educate them on exactly how to refer business your way and who you’re looking to work with. Take time to describe your ideal client to your contacts and talk to them about the specific benefits and results that you create for those clients. Teach them which keywords and phrases to listen for in conversations so when they hear them they’ll be able to say “I know just the person to help you!”
- Take advantage of the FREE resources available to you – There is so much FREE information online that you can use to create your own path for success. By using what’s available to you, you can keep your costs low and start seeing the results you’re looking for. For example, have you checked out the “Start Here” page at SmartSimpleMarketing.com? I have a TON of free information available on my blog. The starter kit alone will help get you amped up to market your business. Use what’s available to you!
- Barter – Bartering with other service professionals can be a win-win for everyone involved, when appropriate and done correctly. I recommend that you and the other service professional (i.e.: virtual assistant, graphic designer, etc) pay each other for services rendered, rather than barter without money changing hands. Yes, the payments will “wash each other out,” but having contracts and payment terms in place will keep the details clear, help you maintain open communication and support deliverables being delivered on time.
- Get yourself booked as a speaker in front of your ideal prospects – Networking groups are ALWAYS looking for speakers, so do your research and find out where your ideal clients are meeting. You may not get paid for your speaking engagement, but it won’t cost much either. Plus you’ll have a chance to connect with ideal prospects and present them with a special offer for your services.
- Stop focusing on what you can’t do and focus on what you CAN do! – Maybe you can’t invest thousands, or even hundreds of dollars in your market right now. Don’t let this discourage you! Focus on what you CAN do – look for the how and make it happen! For example, my Build Marketing Momentum program is value priced and offers step by step instructions on how you can get more clients and generate more revenue in your service business. For just pennies a day, you can get the help you need. Look for opportunities that you can say YES to, instead of focusing on what you can’t do right now.
Yes, there will always be reasons why you can’t do what you need to do to grow your business. But there is always a way to make it happen! If your current budget is no bigger than a shoestring, accept it, own it and do something about it!
Speaking of…what WILL you do this week to increase your marketing efforts? Share your thoughts with me in the comments. I’d love to hear from you!
Your Action Plan For The Week:
- Schedule time this week to educate your network about what you do and who you’re looking for. You can contact them via email, on the phone or in person – but make sure to get the word out!
- Take advantage of the resources that are available to you. Fr*ee or low cost resources are everywhere and there’s no reason why you shouldn’t be using them to grow your business.
- Barter with other service professionals to get what you need. For example, offer to buy design work from a graphic designer who will in turn purchase your virtual assistant services.
- Find networking groups in your area that serve your target market. Present yourself as an expert speaker for their next event.
- Change your mindset and focus on what you CAN do instead of your limited budget. Focus on the resources available to you and the actions that you can take now to market your business.